Thursday, June 30, 2011

Small town newspapers are endlessly amusing to me.
(And when I say "small town", I'm talking 2000 subscribers or less.)
If I want world events, state headlines, sports scores or anything official, I read the major papers or watch the evening news; if I want to chuckle all day or get really worked up about an editorial, I read the little rags. 

I read The Jordan Tribune, The Lewistown News-Argus, and The Miles City Star, fairly regularly and can recommend all three for their entertainment value. 

The Argus recently did some hard-hitting reporting on the school levies this spring and the comments on-line with regards to these articles were so passionate that I got sucked in to the drama and would stomp around the house, kicking the cat and writing diatribes in my head as responses.  And it wasn't even my school system or taxes that were being impacted! June has been a slow "news" month, though, and the political hecklers on the forum are beside themselves with the lack of fodder.  The other thing I like about the Argus is that they include all the little area communities, with neighborly news on births, deaths and pancake suppers. 

The Tribune is by far the most fun to read, and not just because I know every single person mentioned or photographed. This morning, for instance, I read about two guys who are biking from Oregon to Maine and decided to spend the night in Jordan; they made the front page with a FOUR column article! You can imagine how exciting it was for our action news reporter to encounter news of this magnitude.  An excerpt of the article: 

"Then Van Donge (one of the cyclists) passionately recalled the one day, 100 mile jaunt from Fort Benton to Lewistown.  Leaving early in the morning he said they biked uphill on a windy, narrow road, with a continuously steep grade and were also buffeted by a stiff headwind.  They both described that episode as a treacherous challenge."

You don't get descriptive writing like THAT in the Billings Gazette or Denver Post, now.  (I don't know as they got that sort of coverage in Lewistown.  I doubt it.  I'm sure the Argus would've had the article on-line if they'd snagged this lead.) 

I also think the full page spread showcasing pictures of flower beds and fields was inspired.  They lose a little impact when printed in black and white, but still are very satisfying as a pictoral representation of the growth in our community.  Literally.

Our police blotter is published under the column headline "Naughty, Naughty!" and lists traffic violations for the most part.  There's no real crime to speak of in Jordan; at least none that will get published.  Occasionally, there will be a listing of an MIP (Minor In Possession of alcohol) or a disorderly conduct, but those are rare and noteworthy. 

There are invitations extended to the readership of the Tribune for weddings and baby showers, which is neighborly and eliminates hurt feelings over who got invited and who didn't.  Besides, we'll all show up anyway.  It's nice not to have to call all over creation to figure out the time and date. 

There are TEN churches whose schedules are listed in the Tribune.  Isn't that great?  I mean, in a town of 500, that's pretty impressive! 

School board and county commissioner meeting minutes are published, as well as those of the Blackfoot Home Demonstration Club.  I love the BHDC minutes!  They always call their club meetings to order and take roll with questions such as "What is your favorite rhubarb recipe?".  I'm so envious of the ladies of that club; partly because they have, without a doubt, the best refreshments of any club in a three county area and partly because they have so much fun opening a meeting.  I always wonder what the responses are and what luscious rhubarb dishes they brought to the meeting to back it up. 

I don't want you to think I'm making fun of the local papers or criticizing them in any way.  I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to put out any sort of paper, week after week, in these little towns.  I just enjoy the peculiar little ways they do it, the response of the people reading them and the comfortable feeling of knowing that no matter what is going on in Greece or Washington D.C., the little towns in Montana will be keeping their subscribers informed of the truly important things in life: Margie's rhubarb crunch recipe. 

4 comments:

Erin said...

Terry also has a Tribune, and I am thinking of asking my mom for a subscription for my birthday . . . seriously. I really do miss reading it. I especially enjoy reading about what everyone did over the weekend. There is something special about small town newspapers. We read the Argus online :)

Sara H said...

I have been getting the Powder River Examiner since I left home - it has followed me to Helena, Washington DC, South Dakota, back to DC, Wyoming, and now Colorado. I read every word, even the classifieds and the funny local ads (which are actually the highlight). The editor writes a great "Insights and Observations" column every week, which occasionally will involve a relative. I love this tribute to local weeklies!

Rosie O'Grady said...

Well, I will have you to know that the police blotter in the Lamesa, Texas paper is by far the best in the West, because there is crime in Lamesa, and in that paper they describe it blow by blow. Jordan's naughty, naughty list lost all its salt when Miles Phalen died, and that colorful sheriff named Spud quit being lawman! You are right--small town papers are great.

Shelly said...

A man in the tiny town of Hayden, Missouri wrote an article for the local paper called "Hayden Happenings" in which he reported unusual cars parked outside the homes of residents. I guess that could fall under the category of "Insights and Observations" or at times even "Naughty Naughty".