Saturday, April 16, 2011

Classic Movies for Beginners, Part 1


Homer left a very sweet comment on the purse blog about me looking like Holly Golightly (from Breakfast at Tiffany's), which I considered the highest of compliments.  And it sparked a conversation with my friend Shelly about classic movies.  She said she hadn't seen many and I offered to mentor her...a fun proposition for both of us. 

She asked for a list!
Big mistake, Shelly, very big mistake...

Here's my beginner's list:
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • How to Marry a Millionare
  • Pillow Talk
  • An Affair to Remember (This should be at the top of the list, really...)
  • Casablanca
  • Sabrina (the original, NOT the remake)
  • Thoroughly Modern Millie (Just for the sheer fun of it!  A lesser known Julie Andrews movie...)
  • Young at Heart (Frank Sinatra/Doris Day...*sigh*)
  • Houseboat
  • The Quiet Man
  •  African Queen
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
  • The Sons of Katie Elder
  • Arsenic and Old Lace
  • Gone With The Wind (Although, Scarlett in the BOOK is not the same as Scarlett in this movie!)
What would you add to the list?
Have you seen most of these movies?

6 comments:

Sara H said...

My additions are:
Roman Holiday (who doesn't want to ride a scooter around Rome)
To Catch a Thief (I could watch this every day)
High Society (LOVE this movie)

The Farmer's Wife said...

I had Roman Holiday on the list...took it off...put it back....took it off. I was starting to get a little Audrey Hepburn heavy!

I have ANOTHER list for when she gets done with this one. It's an intensive course of study. Wait until we get to the Hitchcock movies! :)

Denise said...

I have seen about five of them...but now I know what to start watching.

Shelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelly said...

I posted (above) that Don and I were going to watch these together since he considered himself a classic movie aficionado, but that he might be disappointed to learn that the list did not include John Wayne. How embarrassing to notice later that it does! "The Sons of Katie Elder" was one of my Dad's favorites, and I know it stars John Wayne. Mary, Don will be so impressed in your great taste in classic cinema. Any Clint Eastwood coming up in future lists?

Thank you for the list, and for the additions, Sarah. I'm excited to get started working our say through it!

Homer said...

To this noble selection, I would add Red River (another John Wayne), Charade (another Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn romantic comedy), and Doctor Strangelove. By the way, Mary, congratulations on the black and white photo of you playing Holly at the top of the blog.