Thursday, March 17, 2011

First Calf 2011!

It's always a big deal.
Every year, the first calf is greeted with cheers and phone calls are made.
The kids and I pile into the car and drive over to see the little thing, take pictures and oooooo at how sweet he is. 
You'd think it would get sort of ho-hum.  After all, in a week or so, there will be calves all over.
But I can tell you that, for me at least, each new calf is dear and miraculous. 
No matter how many times I see it.

He can't decide whether he's getting up or down....
It's a terrible place, this in-between, and it's a long ways either way!

Going down!


I love how they rest their little chins on the ground, making themselves flat and round!  He's so very shiny new that the sawdust is sticking to him, making him look pretty scuzzy.  I'll bet this morning he's soft and fuzzy, his mama having worked him over several times to spiff him up.

Speaking of his mama....she's so cute! This is her first calf and she doesn't know what to think.  She DOES think, however, that we should be moving along and so we do...


 Little man, picking his way through the muck, past the barn.  It's so warm, right there!


That had trouble written all over it, so he got a ride.


 And THAT'S what we were walking around and through.  It smells just as charming as it looks. Although, (and you're going to think I'm nuts)(MORE nuts) I really sort of like the smell of barnyard.  It's....homey, to me.


 Okay, you see that big hill, just past the Farmer?  That's snow/ice/dirt.  And it has melted quite a little.  Can you believe that?  It's going fast, though....the days have been 40+ degrees and the water is running!


 These are the girls who are waiting.  Do you see how absolutely round they are? That makes me smile.
I remember how I looked, at nine months pregnant and it was exactly like that!  And probably as cheerful...

Last look at the barn...we left the door open a little, so the new mamas could have some fresh air...

NOW, Spring is here!

2 comments:

Alice said...

This happy post is just like a page out of an E.B. White book. Congrats on the new addition!

Shannon said...

Yay! You made it to Spring!! I hope that your big pile of snirt (snow/dirt) melts very soon.

The baby is so cute! Are you sort of like a grandma now? Taking pictures of your new babies and showing them off on the internet? :)

Before you get offended at my suggestion that you are a grandma cow, please allow me to divert your attention with a little story: When Lindsay and Cole were little, they played puppy all the time. Of course, Lindsay was the Mommy and would call herself "Momma Dog". And so when I asked who I could be, she said, "Um... How about Mamma Cow?" Which still makes me smile some 8 years later. :)