My friend Nicole has been surrepticiously reading the Chronicles for quite a while, bless her heart, and also happens to be in possesion of the most amazing pie recipe that she shared with me after accolades on FaceBook. She knew I was going to post it, but she did not know that she was the guest food writer today! I simply couldn't edit it....I love her voice and knew you would, too. I DID ask permission to get a photo and she graciously consented to that...I chose the princess picture! (Not really, but she was ready for a wedding and really did LOOK like a princess...)
Mary,
I went through the rec. and tried to give you the best I could. I am not so great at following the measurements. I love to cook so I add more if I like it and sometimes skip it if I don't. This is the way I am. I wish you the best and hope to get together with you one day for a mean cup of coffee and so glourious pie.
CARAMEL APPLE NUT PIE
1 (9 inch) double pie crust, your favorite (or homemade, if time)
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar (Used extra maybe 1 cup)
3 tbsp. flour (dusted a bit in the bottom of my crust so it would not get to soggy)
1/4 c. HEAVY cream
1 c. chopped PECANS (once again plus extra)
4-5 apples, about 6 c. (filled it up like mile high apple pie, I like using lots of apples (8)? so it is very full and runs over in my oven)lol
3 tbsp. cold butter (plus some extra)lol
even though the rec. did not call for Cinn. I added it anyways, maybe a tsp. Just add to your taste I like it so well you know plenty of extra.
In small bowl mix brown sugar, flour and whipping cream. Stir in nuts.
Peel and slice Granny Smith apples are the best but means they are so expensive I used the ones on special I think they were braun?. Add sugar and cream mixture to apples. Will be thick, but stir to coat apples.
Put in unbaked pie shell. Cut slices of cold butter on top. Put top pie shell on. Cut designs for air. Brush with cream. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40-45 minutes.
Note: Before you print this you may want to delete all the comments. I like to put all my feelings in so not to forget how I did it last time. Like it matters lol, I may change it up the next time I try it. Good luck.
After about 4 back and forth messages, we had modified the recipe to where you might not recognize it! There were ideas of streusel instead of the top crust made with butter brickle bits added, or a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce when serving, or if you are really adventurous, putting those ingredients on a serving platter and inverting the pie on top of them! (Thanks Alice...that was brilliant.) If you didn't have pie love before, you will after this...
I have to tell you...
I've had the most incredble emails and messages from the Pie Love post! It's the most fun I've had with a post in a long time...keep the notes coming! You, too, might be featured as a guest food writer on the Chronicles. (It comes with very little notoriety, no monetary gains or any other benefits...)

3 comments:
YUM!!! This sounds like the pie filling that I make each fall and then pack it in sealed bags, 4+ cups each and freeze. Then you only have to make the crust, thaw out a bag and bake.
Looks like a great preg-checking day pie to me!
When Nicole was a little girl she helped me cook at branding, I could tell she was going to be a gifted cook.
Post a Comment