Saturday, September 11, 2010

Who-o-o-o-o-o are you?

(Go ahead, everyone....finish the song, then read.)


I just found the "Stats" page on my dashboard!
And it's crazy.

(Don't worry, all you secret readers....it doesn't pinpoint where you're from or anything like that.  You can still read anonymously and no one will know.  My friend Anne calls it "lurking".  That sounds so....creepy, to me! I like to think of it as people who are reading the Chronicles like the local paper.  That's not lurking, is it?)

Anyway, the page shows me what posts are read the most, what country the visitors are from and what time of day they're checking the Chronicles.  And the stats show that with the exception of a couple lost souls from Malaysia and Japan, everyone is from the U.S. or Canada (Hi, Wendy!),  that they like reading the dumbest posts about our vacation, and everyone looks during the day. 

This is going to sound very atypical of my personality, but I find statistics fascinating, human behavior fascinating.  I told a friend of mine a couple weeks ago that I think marketing is really interesting because you analyze trends, try to predict what people will do or want, look at what worked and what didn't....

I'm not going to try all that here at the Chronicles.  But it's fun for me to know a little more about my readers.  After all, I bare my soul telling you about killing flies, hole-y underwear, cows and other nonsense.  It's only fair that I know 99.9999999% of you are reading from the North American continent.

I've had people come up to me on the street, saying "I read your blog! Now, about the flies..."  One of my friends on FB is reading, bless her heart, and said she looks here for her daily lift.  (Kara, remind me to introduce you to the brilliance that is coffee...) One of my friends informed me yesterday that it had been a full work-week since I'd put up a post and would I please get on that? 

There's going to be a lot of disappointment that this is the post to end the drought...

5 comments:

Marina said...

I call it blog-stalking. But at least I follow publicly, so I guess its only partial stalking that way.

Anne said...

Hey Miss Mary - Google Analytics is a fine, wonderful thing. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello from Tucson, Arizona! (Your stats might say "Coronado National Forest" but don't worry, I have a house, not a tent, and I certainly don't live in a forest :)

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Anonymous said...

Hello from Kalispell, MT. I found this page via daily montana by Mark Hufstetler. You have a very entertaining blog and your writing skills as well as your photography skills are to be admired. We spent a few months in your area many years ago in the Cat Creek area, so it takes me back. Thank you for allowing me to visit.

The Farmer's Wife said...

I FINALLY got back to the Chronicles and it's great to see two readers commenting that I didn't know read. (Or used to read...it's been a while...)

Becca, are you Denise Dykstra's friend? So glad you commented! And thank you for the birthday wishes.

Anonymous (what a mysterious profile!) I miss Mark's writings, don't you? Visit often! The Cat Creek area by Mosby? My mother's family is from there.