Thursday, July 01, 2010

Wow! Willow Creek Winter Wheat

Big Chief Crabby Pants
Hay bottoms just north of our house...
See the little tiny dot on the horizon? That's A tree, Jason Harold!! We're so proud of it.
Twillabie running like the wind!

Willow Creek winter wheat is a variety we grow for forage (hay) and also some to sell the seed.  I'll include a link at the bottom of this post from MSU about the variety and there will be bar graphs and everything! But one thing I find remarkable is that it will grow as much as 3/4 an inch per day.  So if you stood out in the field for a couple hours, you could probably actually see it happening. 

This wheat floors me, every year, with its freakish height.
Some pictures for you from this morning, in one of the fields we rogued on Tuesday.


Keep in mind that the Farmer and I are both about 5'8" tall, and wearing boots....






Willow Creek is an awnless variety, which just means that it has no "beards"; a nice, neat head which is part of the reason it's so palatable for livestock.

She's SO happy for the little adventure! I love the pleased look on her face.


It's amazing!

9 comments:

Marina said...

You look so pretty!!

The Farmer's Wife said...

And THAT'S why you're my favorite cousin, Marina.

Oh! I need to know where you got your great shoes in the photo shot with you and that Stanaland guy at TT, before Rhys was born. They are stunning and I don't mind telling you I covet them.

Denise said...

I will forward this to Jason Harold. LOVE all the pics. Thanks! :)

Joe Kaufman said...

I hardly every post comments even though I read your blog all the time with Jen. Now that you posted about wheat I just have to say I love it! Not only wheat, but you have to go out and rouge it. I spent many a hot day rouging soft white winter wheat in Lewiston (cereal rye grass). Toward the end of a field my dad would often start singing "Water" by Sons of the Pioneers. Anyway thanks for blogging about wheat from a farm nerd.

Texas Ghostrider said...

Nice pictures and love BOTH the caps, Red Raiders and Corona, what a team!

Patricia said...

Wow! Cool pictures and you could easily lose small children in that wheat. Chief Crabby Pants is adorable! I really do think that he and Gavin are twins.

Homer said...

That which Marina said, I concur.

Denise said...

Jason Harold says that if you cut that tree down now, it will be dry enough to use for firewood this winter.

Rosie O'Grady said...

This is the first time I have seen such wheat, and it is amazing. I also love the cap! The kids are growing nearly as fast as that wheat. Gotta get up there!