Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad


*I'd hate for my greetings to get lost in the mass of cards he recieves on the actual day....  :)

Every year I struggle to find a Father's Day card for my Dad.  There are simply no cards for cowboys who love good red wine, dark chocolate, silver bits and spurs, and border collies.  There are no cards that say, "Dad, we've sure been through some crazy spots in life, haven't we?"  There are no cards that express true admiration and love for a man who showed me that it's never too late to change, never too late to learn.  Even Leanin Tree cards don't have a greeting for dads who love us even when we mess up at the chute, hug us when they want to thump us, laugh with us when it would be too much to cry about. 

I love that I can talk to my Dad about cows, kids, worries, funny people, great food, "remember-whens" and "wonder-whats".  I love that I can pray WITH my Dad, as well as for him.  One of my most precious moments was watching him get baptised....and now I'm crying, but it's good, you know. 

I love you, Dad.  I look up to you now, like never before.  I'm so proud to call you my father.
Happy Father's Day, very late.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo


3 comments:

Rosie O'Grady said...

Amen!

Denise said...

sniff sniff. I couldn't find a card for my Dad this year at all. They don't make them for men like him. So I wrote him a letter and bawled at the end telling him how much Ioved him. When I gave him the letter, he sure lit up way more than over a card. Yup, I am sure you Dad loved reading this too

Cowboy's Sweetheart said...

Sweet Mary, we finally got on our blog to see what "ya'all" were doing. My goodness, you had both of us in tears! What a wonderful tribute to your Dad. He is so touched and loves you back more than you may ever know!

Thanks! From your Dad.