Monday, June 14, 2010

All Aboard!

Tomorrow I leave for a school business officials' conference in Whitefish, MT.  It's about as far west in Montana as I can go and still stay in the state.  AND I get to take the train to get there!

This is an exciting first-time on a train for me....how sad is that?! We have to drive an hour and a half to get to the station in Glasgow, then the train takes me along the Hi-Line of Montana, through big, big farming and reservations to the Rocky Mountains, through the corner of Glacier Park and deposits me in Whitefish at 9:00 p.m. 

I can take three bags to check and two bags besides my purse as carry-ons. How in the world would I lug that much wardrobe around? Really, I need a porter to travel with me...

The age-old question for women is:

"What to pack?"

It's supposed to be stinking cold, there this week...highs of 55 and 65 degrees.  But it may also have a heat wave on Friday.  (Of course...) So.....mukluks and sandals. Tricky, that.

As excited as I am to go on the train, I'm already worrying about all my babies and the Farmer. Does anyone but me have that "if I leave, mayhem and illness will ensue, death-threatening situations that obviously wouldn't occur with the simple presence of me" feeling?  I'm pretty confident the kids will be alright, but I almost have panic attacks thinking about my dog. Everyone watches out for the kids, but they may not see Molly lying under the tire in the shade.....I couldn't stand it.

We went to the grocery store and laid in a pile of quick-to-prepare junk food, so they won't starve.  Frozen pizza, chicken nuggets, Eggos, potpies, chips, cereal....I can hardly stand to type it!  There are some bribe foods, too, just in case the Farmer gets desperate for cooperation.  (That's terrible parenting, we know, but desperate times call for desperate measures....)

My friend Anne (of the tulip post) wants me to take pictures of the train ride and post them, so I'll attempt to do so Wednesday morning, if all the electronics behave for me!

Now, off to pack...something. 

7 comments:

Patricia said...

Oh.....an adventure! What fun this will be...and so many new and interesting photo ops. I LOVE train stations with their shiny wooden benches and train tracks and the sleek cars. Can't wait to hear and see it all. Be blessed, dear friend, and have a wonderful trip.

Marina said...

I don't think that's bad parenting, I think its smart parenting! I plan on using the same bribes one day myself! Have fun...I have never been on a train either. Is it just a day train ride or overnight??

Sara H said...

Ohhhh...sounds romantic. Have a great trip. I absolutely LOVE trains - they make such great travel stories.

Rosie O'Grady said...

Relax and have fun! The Farmer is a cool dad and can handle anything. Maybe you ought to stuff Molly in one of those bags and take her with you. I can't imagine 55 degrees. It was 103 yesterday while I was hauling junk next door (I logged 12 miles moving).

Denise said...

I forgot that was this week! HAVE FUN !!!!!!! And yes, PLEASE take lotsa photos. And don't worry, Molly will bark, eventually. :) They all will miss you like crazy, but it'll make for great memories for all of you.

Cowboy's Sweetheart said...

Enjoy your adventure!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Have a great trip. All will be well when you return. I'm a first time visitor to your blog and spent some time reading your earlier posts. I really enjoyed my visit and will be back soon. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary