Saturday, February 06, 2010

Letters from the cave

Dear Followers (if there are any left),

It has been a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG winter, hasn't it? I have single-wide trailer fever, which is the less glamorous version of cabin fever.  Cabin fever brings to mind a cozy fireplace, stew on the stove and Nordic sweaters. Single-wide trailer fever, on the other hand, conjures up microwave popcorn, ratty sweatshirts and Jeopardy blaring on the television. 

FaceBook has been interesting, this winter.  My classmates are organizing a 21 year class reunion in August, in conjunction with a GCHS all-class reunion.  Seeing all of them signing in makes me panic a little....bringing out insecurities I thought were long buried! I found myself wondering if I could somehow lose 15 pounds, get a degree in Animal Science, photoshop and re-do the yearbook pictures of myself, and volunteer in some noble cause....all in about 6 months time.  Really! And before you all start telling me it's just about seeing each other again, and no one cares what you are doing or have done, I can assure you I already know that.  It's crazy.  My high school career was not brilliant and I don't want to have to painfully revisit those days, so I think I'm trying to distract my classmates with new stuff.  Of course, no one is MAKING me go to the reunion, either.

Anyway, as God's great plan would have it, I was asked to help with a simulcast about....insecurity.  I know. And I was voted Most Likely To Lead The Local Dissection And Discussion Of The Book On A Blog. Just so I can't be in denial and get out of anything, I assume. 

Drats.

Valentine's Day is fast approaching...my very favorite holiday! But someone moved it up on the calendar, apparently, because I just turned the calendar over to February and only have eight days to make valentines for 80 people, AND 103 with the kids for friends, cousins and classmates. (That is, of course, an exaggeration, but sitting in front of a pile of construction paper and lace, it feels like that.) Does anyone else make valentine's by hand, anymore? Or is it all e-greetings?

You just read about my battle with the cows, I assume.  Big news, there. 
I finally relented and got a library card in Miles City; we'll see if that helps the book budget out.
We're going to Glasscocks for Super Bowl.  Actually, we're going to Glasscocks for contact with other human beings, with the Super Bowl as a convenient reason.
Bookclub is this upcoming Thursday....stay tuned for the report!
The school bus driver for our route is leaving us, to be a minister in Harlem, Montana at the end of this month. So no bus after that! And that was our favorite part of school, too!

Also (and I've been avoiding this) Wayland's grandpa died last Saturday, and we had the funeral yesterday.  Even though he had been very sick, and died at home, quietly, it was still very difficult.  For some reason, funerals and memorials are harder in the winter. It's already so bleak! We saw a lot of family that we hadn't seen in a while; bittersweet gatherings. 

I've missed you, this last week, and have great plans for upcoming posts. (I know. You're on the edge of your seat.  Well, you'll just have to wait!)
One of my friends recently floored me with the news that he only looks at the pictures and scans the posts for mention of him.  This is sort of how it went...

"You don't READ the posts?"(incredulous) 
"Sometimes. If it has pictures." (flippantly)
"I thought you were following along! You said you read the blog!" (still stunned)
"Well, I don't have time to read EVERYTHING" (defensively)
"Yeah, well I take the time to look at your People of Walmart forwards..." (a bit righteous)
"Well, THOSE are hilarious! That's good stuff, there!" (on to a new topic)
(Thinking to myself, now...) "Well, there won't be anymore pictures for a long time, now. AND you may never see your name in the Chronicles again, buster."  (fluffed)(and retaliatory)(I'm sure he will suffer because of it)(although now he's chortling, because he just earned an entire paragraph of dialogue)(drats)

Thanks for sticking with me during this season of blah!
Much love and many hugs, (especially to the kind reader who sent me cookies and coffee, knowing the fragility of my sanity last week)

The Farmer's Wife 

6 comments:

Denise said...

So sorry to hear about Wayland's Grandpa. That is tough no matter what or when.

Never ever would I ever take on making Valentine's. Now that I have written that for all to read, some weird emotion will come over me and force me to make valentines.

I have to make 30 home made cookies for the kindergarten class, does that count for anything?

What makes valentine's day your most favoritest holiday?????

good to read a new post from you!

The Farmer's Wife said...

There's something wonderful about sending and recieving little notes of love and appreciation, it's such a bright spot in a bleak time of year, and (this is so shallow) there's candy.

I like little crookedy hearts, x's and o's, awkward Hallmark cards from sweethearts, valentine boxes, and letters from old friends that were too swamped to send Christmas cards.

And there's a lot of red.
It's my favorite color, you know.

I urge you to get to a scrapbooking place and buy some pretty paper, stickers and make a couple valentines. Anybody can cut out a heart, slap a sticker on it, couple x's, couple o's....voila! a sweet valentine without a cartoon character on it!

Good luck with those cookies. You know, if you put red food coloring in sugar cookie dough, half your decorating is done....(took me YEARS to figure that out and THAT'S the reason I didn't major in, say, rocket science or brain surgeon sorts of things....)

Texas Ghostrider said...

This has been a long winter even down here in TEXAS. We might get sleet or snow thursday which is a bit weird for us. It has been raining for days and my yard is a swamp. We had sun today and tomorrow then rain again. I can't wait till summer. I am sorry for Waylands Grand dad may he rest in peace. I have cabin fever also, I need to get on the bike and ride. I guess it wont be a good idea to ride to Montana this time of year.....

Rosie O'Grady said...

Class reunion! It will be fun, and don't kid yourself, everyone is checking to see how many extra pound the other person is packing, if their hair is graying, or if they are getting a few wrinkles, and what type of career the other has. So, go and have a grand old time. I am fresh out of ideas for Valentines, so I order carnations from PTO and have them delivered to all the teachers, and cooks. Some day I will shock everyone with some really cool, artisitc cards, so just wait, because you are going to be surprised! The winter had better break soon, Grandma will be on her way in a couple of weeks!

Marina said...

Mary, I truly look forward to your posts. You are quite hilarious; they brighten my day. I read them all...even if there aren't any pictures! (Although pictures of the babes are a plus!)

Cowboy's Sweetheart said...

Yes, class reunions. I am having one this summer and the number of years it has been just floors me!!!! But I am looking forward to doing lots of visiting!