"She's DEAD!"
Bran muffin crumbs sprayed all over the shiny gold enamel tabletop, as Fern sputtered in shock. Her frazzled grey curls were fairly shaking with shock as she tried, not very successfully, to regain control of her thoughts and the despised muffin.
"But she was supposed to bring dessert to bookclub on Thursday!"
How very insensitive of Clara to die right before the best night of the month! And to leave the girls without dessert, too! She WOULD do that. Clara had always been an obstrucionist, where events were concerned, jealous that she hadn't thought of them first and preventing thier success at any expense. This was going too far.
"Are you sure? Clara was healthy as my hog, Amelia. She was always making broccoli brownies and trying spinach recipes. And JOGGING! At her age, it's indecent to wear running shorts. I really can't see her tipping over suddenly, in the middle of her Healthy Request soup bowl."
Fern fluffed around her little egg-yolk yellow kitchen, rolling her eyes and looking in every drawer for her stash of emergency chocolate. Her magenta flowered muu-muu was hindering her progress, being worn mostly for effect and not for the serious work of locating dark chocolate truffles in tight spaces. Finally, in the dusty wine glasses on the bookcase, she unearthed one lonely, stale-ish irish cream filled bon-bon and popped it into her incredulous, matching magenta mouth. With a sigh of relief, she continued in her cranky dialogue with the well-informed Amelia who happened at that very minute to be tearing apart her own oak paneled kitchen for a similar confection.
" Well, who in the world FOUND her? Her kids only call once a month, you know, and I'm not sure either of them would have the good sense to realize something had happened! They'd probably assume she was out for a run to the farmer's market for more spinach. And I can't blame them. I couldn't bring myself to call Clara more than once a month, either, and only to tell her what she needed to bring to supper for bookclub....she was so...sour, all the time. You know, that's what happens to a person when they cut out all the fat and sugar from their diet. They just shrivel up and get mean."
Fern paused to take a breath and pour a cup of coffee that would dissolve an ordinary stainless steel spoon with it's strength and viscosity.
" She had a BOYFRIEND?!!!! HE found her?!!!"
In a small town like Homer, a person couldn't buy coughdrops and get home without many wishes for better health. There was no comprehension of a secret relationship occuring. Especially with Fern and Amelia as close, personal friends. This was indeed an unexpected twist in the plot, and Fern could barely absorb the shock of it. She sat heavily down in her red recliner, staring at the crookedly hung print of Marilyn Monroe framed in gold plated plastic. It was too much to take before Days of Our Lives. Then a horrible, delicious thought occurred to her....
"Amelia! Do you think, " and a pause for a gulp of coffee for courage, "do you think she could've been murdered?"
The sound of a phone clattering to the floor could be heard through the earpiece.
" I'm calling Joanie! She lives right next door to Clara. If anyone knows anything, it's Joanie. Besides, she's got to bring dessert, now."
8 comments:
This is pretty daring for you. I like it.
What are you doing killing off Clara!? Especially when we see her next Thursday?!
Okay, I'm lost as to what this entire post is all about. Are you writing fiction now?
The "Warning" post pretty much explains it....I forget that in Blogworld, if you want someone to read a pre-anything, you have to post it AFTER the post you're warning about. This way it appears before. I can't do that much planning. So if you look at the post AFTER this one, it will explain everything, Dawn.
Anne, the name Clara doesn't indicate OUR Clara! (I was using old lady names from around Jordan...Clara Saylor, Fern Schillreff, Amelia Bateman who is deceased now, and Joan just sort of elbowed her way in there, a variation on June Loomis. They are just great names.)
And yes, it's supposed to be corny....
The town of... Homer? Love it. Love the story, too. I hope it will encourage you to write more fiction and nonfiction of book length.
The next J.A. Janice in the making.....
This is awful stuff...and I know it....but I needed a project. And Denise needed a project. The best part of writing back and forth is not knowing what the OTHER person is going to toss out in the plot!
The town of Homer just seemed right, and it was funny to me, to acknowledge you in the story but not burden you with, say, the police chief role!
T.G.- I'm going to have to look up J.A. Janice. Cop writer?
Be sure and go to www.denisedykstra.blogspot.com for the continuation of the story.....if you can stand that much corn.
Post a Comment