I know this will come as a shock to most of my readers....
I'm sort of wrapping-impaired.
No, really!
There are several things that trip me up, not the least of which is the actual procurement of wrapping paper. It turns out, in order to have a good-looking package, it would help to actually BUY PAPER. Now, I used to be pretty good at this, B.K. (Before Kids, as though you needed the translation...) I'd look through all the paper in the bins, buying the glossy, classy paper and co-ordinating bows. My packages still looked relatively horrible, but I got marks for spending money on the materials.
The era we are currently in would be D.K. (During Kids or Dang Krazy; either meaning is relevant) and the paper is borrowed. I'm NOT kidding you. Dead serious. I went looking for the Christmas paper today (I know, nothing like planning ahead) and found....a roll of Day-Glo chartreuse-y green stuff that had been hidden under our bed. Yeah. I don't know why I hadn't found it earlier, either...it illuminates the room. Realizing that wouldn't cover all 57 gifts, I pleaded with my husband to requisition some paper from his mom. (She makes Martha Stewart look like a slouch. But that's another post...)
While I was under the bed, looking for the Christmas paper, I ALSO managed to locate a bag of cheap bows that had a decidedly flat, dusty appearance, as though our 23 lb. cat had been laying on them. (I'm quite sure she had, because she wouldn't look me in the eye as I questioned her, and that's a dead giveaway that she had something to do with the flattening.)
It's also helpful to have some Scotch tape.
I found two rolls that showed promise. One had been in hibernation since 2003, (I know this, because that was the date on the newspaper it was with.) but the adhesive seemed to have retained its stickiness.
Care to guess how my gifts look?
I can really get behind the statement " It's the thought that counts".
The TRICKY part is convincing people that I had a thought.
And, no, I'm not going to post a picture of the gifts. Bad enough I bared my soul in print.

2 comments:
I can so relate to this! I went through a "Martha Stewart" gift wrapping season many, many years ago, but the scene in which you describe is more like the way I am today. It doesn't help that we live an hour from the closest Wallymart.
I'm a wrapping paper disaster, in general. If you look at the photos I posted a week or so ago of Gavin's birthday party you will notice that a few of the gifts are wrapped in "Happy Hanukkah" paper. MY gifts to my grandson on his birthday. I saw the candles, the blue, and it was the only roll of gift wrap in the grocery store that wasn't Christmasy. It was while wrapping that I noticed that it said "Happy Hanukkah" instead of "Happy Birthday." Good thing he can't read, but the adults at the party certainly had fun at my expense. I was glad to oblige them. =)
Yeah. I'm a gift wrapping failure, too.
Dearest Mary, I pray that you and your precious family have a MOST Merry Christmas. May the Light of Christ fill your heart, your home and your lives.
Love you BIGGIE bunches,
Patricia
Guess what? I found some paper with race cars, copywright 1989, to wrap one of Mom's birthday presents in--left overs from Roberto's birthdays. And who cares what they look like? The fun is in tearing off the wrapper to get to what is inside.
Post a Comment