Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Underground Bookclub


The Underground Bookclub gathered, under the cover of darkness, at the Hilltop Cafe in Jordan last night. The time and location has been kept quiet, because it was feared that the place would be mobbed with wanna-be members. (Really, it was because we couldn't figure out a date that worked for everyone...but we like to give the impression that everyone wants to join our group.)

8 of the 10 members made it; Beth went to Billings, supposedly, and Karen G. was catching up after her whirlwind Disney tour. BUT the exciting new addition to the group, Miss Arianna, only 6 days old, made her first Bookclub meeting!! We were THRILLED (and a little surprised) Anne came with the pixie child. Truly, Ari looked like a tiny fairy baby! And she slept the whole time.  Baby Everett was there, too...7 weeks old...and he's a snuggler, to the great delight of all the clubbers.

On Tuesday evenings, at the Hilltop, you can order ANYTHING off the menu, even breakfast! I think most everyone ordered omelets, with the exception of Clara.  She ordered a pancake with sides. That pancake was the most amazing thing. It was the size of a Toyota hood. On a plate.  I've never seen such a magnificent speciman of a hotcake! Do you remember the movie "Great Outdoors" where John Candy eats the Old 89'r, a gigantic steak, so all the meals would be paid for? We tried to get our waitress to go for that deal, but she wouldn't. Drats.

Oh! And we DID discuss the book. "A Town Like Alice" was thumbs up all around. Anne hadn't had a chance to read the book, but we covered all the high points and not in the correct order, either.  She's very confused, now, but intrigued. The book brought up some interesting points about lifestyle and Australia. I can't reveal any more.

Thelma brought pavlova for dessert! It's basically a big old meringue nest topped with real whipped cream and fruit. I had dreams about it, last night. If you ever have the opportunity to eat pavlova, don't pass it up. Even if you're trying to lose the last 15 pounds of baby weight.

The book for November is by Jan Karon and I believe the title is "Beyond Holly Hill"  or something like that. I'll have to look it up, because I was laughing a lot when the paper came by with the title and I missed the exact title; Clara is our host next month and there was talk of singing carols. THAT ought to make for an interesting meeting!

13 comments:

Homer said...

I've had a few nice meals at the Hilltop Cafe with my fellow Dino hunters but I don't think we had this much fun! Can I join?

TraciG said...

What fun we had! I laughed until I had tears, again. And I slept soooo good last night. A glass of wine, a good meal, and lots of laughing is one of the best ways to relax that I can even imagine!I'm excited for our Decmeber book club!

The Farmer's Wife said...

You know it's a good thing when our husbands CLEAR the calendar AND offer to babysit so we can go. Bookclub effects are far-reaching! And I never laugh so much as I do at Bookclub...that's good medicine.

Homer, I'll put it to the other bookclub members and let you know. One of our criterions for joining is being a good, generous cook so we may need you to submit some samples for us to determine your culinary worthiness. That's the acid test. We may be able to get around that, considering you are a real live published author and all...I just don't know. We love our food....

Every bookclub gathering, I sit there and thank the Lord for each one of them. They'd be a great book in themselves, I think.

Mark said...

The Hilltop sounds like my kind of place!!!

(And the bookclub, too ... :-)

Amber said...

Was Aunt Rose the cook? She makes amazing pancakes! Huge ones! Steve and I watched the Great Outdoors this fall and laughed so hard. We talk about the Ol' 96'r all of the time. I have no idea of the correct size of the steak. And, of course: "Big bear, big bear, chase me!"

Rosie O'Grady said...

I would go for the pancakes. Breakfast for supper--now that is good.

Cowboy's Sweetheart said...

Such fun! I need the laughter...
Nothing beats a good book and then a great discussion!

Homer said...

Mary, I guess we've had what you might call a failure to communicate. What I was really asking was: Can I become an honorary member of your book club, show up when I want to, be fussed over and pampered royally by member reader gals, and fed their very best recipes while being watched anxiously by said womanly book-lovers to ascertain my complete and utter satisfaction with the entree/dessert in question? I'm stunned that you misunderstood my intent. However, I have decided to forgive you.

Anne said...

Homer, I believe that to further qualify yourself for fussing at bookclub, you still will be required to submit a cooking sample. It would probably be in your best interests to make it as awful as possible to further turn up the sympathy and gain a seat at the table...when we would presume to feed you the most square meal The Underground could find. and you might be warned.....Mary did interview me prior to being allowed to date (and then marry) Eric. The grilling can be intense (but people do pass)!

Anne said...

To further clarify, joining bookclub (even in basic essence form) is pretty much like a marriage. :)

Homer said...

Bring it on, Anne. To simulate my best dish, get busy burning scrambled eggs (use the plastic kind that comes in a carton - nothing fresh, please). I can also burn toast with the best of them. As for the marriage-like grilling by you book gals, I have years of experience provided by experts in the field. Sadly, however, I won't be in your area until next summer so I have to wait for both the grilling AND the pampering. :(

The Farmer's Wife said...

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH.
Homer, I apologize for the, um, misunderstanding. Scrambled eggs and burned toast, huh? Dear me!

We've only had one other invited member of the male persuasion, and he, too, was an author. John Moore joined us last year for an evening and we haven't heard from him since. I'm not sure he's yet recovered from the experience. I didn't think we were THAT hard on him....

Whenever you feel up to the experience, let me know and we can arrange something. You WILL have to read the book of the month, though; can't bend on that. There's no chick lit, so you're safe there!

If 10 women bearing covered dishes and books descend on your doorstep, laughing and clucking, we've decided to bring bookclub to you....

The Farmer's Wife said...

Mark! You're an author of the male persuasion, too...
What would be your culinary specialty?
Perhaps you, too, would qualify as an honorary member of the Underground Bookclub.

It's a pretty tough initiation process....