The Underground Bookclub met again last night, after a summer hiatus. We always agree, in April or May that we should take the summer off, but by the end of June, are groaning and wishing we had bookclub to run to. It makes returning in September very sweet, though.
Karen chose the summer book for us: Sophie's Choice. It was a rough read for some, and others just didn't get it read for personal reasons or because they got the wrong book and then were unable to get the right book from their friend who forgot to leave it at the Cohagen Post office, or something like that....
It was a great discussion. We have such interesting, intelligent women with varied backgrounds and stages of life, so you just never know what will come up or be examined. I always leave bookclub thinking, "Well, drats. Now I have to re-read that part!"
Anyway, if you had been sitting outside the window, looking in last night, you would've shaken your head in disbelief. We were all just so happy to be there, and so relaxed, that 8 women talked, laughed, ate, laughed, ate, talked, and so forth, for about three hours. And when you go to Karen's, pretty much all you get accomplished is eating, because the woman is a consummate hostess, and there's stupendous food in every room. (I didn't make it to the bathroom, but I wouldn't have been surprised to find a little covered dish of chocolate truffles there. Come to think of it, those little pregnant bookclubbers spent an inordinate amount of time in the loo. Hmmm...)
Here's the menu breakdown:
Appetizers: Sheepherder's Hors' Doerves (saltine crackers, onion, cheddar cheese and orange slices...it is REALLY GOOD, and hails from Ingomar's Jersey Lily) and some really divine melba toast, cream cheese, sliced pork and sweet/sour horseradish sauce. And that was in the living room. With wine and hand squoze lemonade. I could've just stopped there and been content.
Main Dish: Chicken enchiladas, in corn or flour tortillas, with homemade guacamole, salsa, sour cream and fresh tomatos to top it with.
Sides: Scallopy sort of potatoes, a bean/shrimp salad, and fruit salad.
Dessert: Banana splits, with the works, and Kafe Utza coffee.
By the time we got done eating and laughing and talking, I actually ached, and it almost hurt to drive home. Now THAT'S a successful evening!
Our next book selection, for those that are following along in satellite bookclubs, is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. (Beth chooses a book, then in the same breath changes her mind. But I believe this was the final choice.)
5 comments:
You are too kind Mary; but thanks. I enjoy each and everyone in our underground book club; there is much laughter and joy.
Karen
I am hungey now. Are there any left overs?
Yahoo, I've already read the new book so I can join in!! Wish I'd been with you eating at bookclub last night. I started a class at Whitworth...it's going to tax my brain for the next 10 weeks! :)
Dang! I have gained 5 pounds just reading the menu. I am speeding my way through Atlas Shrugged right now, and I can hardly put it down. Talk about gripping, it is! Can I join your underground club?
It was a delightful night; thank you Karen! I must say, however, I'm quite delighted I do not live down that road, or this baby would have shaken out by now!
Post a Comment