Thursday, September 03, 2009

I love tests!

Yes, I was one of those kids, in school. I lived for test days. I was terrible, however, at the daily sort of assignments. I got them done, and they were done pretty well, but they really grated on my nerves. As did writing papers. (I liked the research on papers, and if I could only have presented the information verbally, I'd have really shone...) But, tests...now, TESTS were FUN! I loved that they were sort of mysterious, tough, one sitting, and there was rather a science to taking them. Once, in college, my cousin Carl Lee needed a victim to take I.Q. tests for his Master's classes, and I had the opportunity to really work the old test-ing brain out. (I think he passed the class, and probably got extra credit for finding a most remarkably inept testee, and sticking with it....)

When I find quizzes or tests on blogs, I take ' em. Today, on a blog I follow, called This Ain't New York, there was a post called the Random Dozen....a dozen unrelated questions for the blogger to answer. It's as close to a test as I can get, today. (Domestic disasters not withstanding....) So here, for your reading pleasure, is my answers to the Random Dozen. Pour a beverage before you start; that way you have something to spurt through your nose as you read....

1. When you go to Wowmart, what one thing do you get every single time, besides a funky-wheeled squeaking cart full of frustration? A headache. Seriously. That is one store that I can barely make myself enter. I missed the female shopping gene, somehow, and these stores are particularly painful for me. With regards to products, however, I'd probably walk outta there with greeting cards.

2. What is something that people are currently "into" that you just don't get or appreciate? Facebook. And I really wish I could do it, because there's a whole sort of culture there, and much information is shared that I miss. I end up relying on my husband, the Farmer, for all the news that is news, in e-land.

3. What is something that really hoists your sail that other people might feel "ho-hum" about?
Well, it's not school finance, that's for sure! Oddly enough, this is sort of a stumper. New high heels and old jazz. How's that?

4. Favorite song to sing in the shower or car? I'll give you two, since one is nonsensical..."Icka-backa, Soda Cracka" for my kids, and "Amazing Grace".

5. A really great salad must have this ingredient: Imagination! There's nothing worse than a boring salad. Well, there ARE worse things, but I'm trying to keep it in context, here.

6. Advice in a nutshell to new bloggers (one or two sentences): Don't worry about who's reading your blog, or what they think. If they don't like your stuff, they can stay away....

7. What was the alternate name that your parents almost named you? Do you wish they had chosen it instead of the one they gave you? My parents never revealed my alternate name, if there was one, but I always wanted a "cooler" name. I was a "Mary" in a generation of Kimberlys, Brittanys, and Tiffanys.

8. What in your life are you waiting for? The housekeeping fairy. And self cleaning bathrooms. They show that sort of thing on the Jetsons....

9. You get a package in the mail. What is it, and who is it from? It will be a package of treasures, some new, some old, mostly Red Raider-wear and retro fun, from my Aunt Bert! Oh! and there might be a Texas cookbook enclosed. And a letter that brings tears to my eyes. Have I ever told you about my Aunt Bert? I'll have to do another post....

10. Today--what song represents you? Gollies, I can find something in every song! Perhaps, Pat Green's Crazy. There's a line in there that says, " If I am truly crazy, don't you know I like myself that way. If I'm really goin' on out of my mind, won't you hop on board, and make your getaway?" Yeah. That's probably the one....

11. What is one thing that blogging has taught you about yourself? I was surprised to find my enjoyment in writing! And to find that if I write (type) everyday, I'm a much happier person. How weird is THAT?!

12. How are you going to (or how did you) choose the clothes you're wearing today? What do they say about you in general or specifically how you're feeling today? Well, drats. I chose them because they were on top of the "working-clothes-that-fit" pile, and they scream, "This dame shops at thrift stores; a long-time Texas Tech Red Raiders fan, with a strong agricultural background and funky taste in jewelry." I'll leave it to your imagination as to what I came up with.

Blessedly, the Random Dozen list is done. Anyone else?

4 comments:

Patricia said...

Fun post. And much to my husband's delight, I missed out on that "female shopping gene", as well. Give me good books, paper, a typewriter and coffee and I'm good to go.

Lori R. said...

Love it!!! I would have to pause at each question and think about what my answer would be. Are you a Gemini? Oh my, we are so much alike it is uncanny... I will explain... ditto on the Wowmart, headache almost every time. Ditto on the Facebook. I have a page and don't understand what to do with it,can't figure it out much to the huge eye rolls from my kids. My wardrobe, yeah, anything that is clean and comfy. I dressed for office 13 years worth and now appreciate a good ole' sweatshirt or tee shirt and jean capris, until dead of winter then long jeans. I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING... Oh, I noticed how you write on the envelope, we even write kinda the same.. We both drop the last stroke of a letter ie. m, n, r. and we make our f's the same just like a printed f but in cursive, dropping the bottom of the stroke.... SOOOO WIERD.... sorry if that is creepy to you. it was to me too. Maybe we were family members in another life... lol.... stranger things have been discovered.

Amber said...

Oh Mary! We are such kindred spirits!! Much love to you today!

Rosie O'Grady said...

I am with you on Facebook! I haven't updated my pictures since April or something. All I do is go in check on kinfolks, and then get out. Shopping? Shoe shopping is fun, and the only way I like to shop for clothes is if I have Jackie with me to get more stuff to hand over the top of the door. Glad you liked the Red Raider stuff.