Monday, August 31, 2009

Personal revelation to the masses, #276

I know. You've been waiting for some post, ANY post, for nearly a week. And thrill of thrills, it's a personal truth-or-dare sort of post....yes! You will have dirt on me. Sort of.



I am organizationally impaired.


There. You have it.


My mother-in-law has been waiting for me to publicly admit this, I'm sure, so she can let out the breath she's been holding for 10 years, give or take 11 months....


I've been going through cupboards, book cases, drawers and glove boxes this week, in a vain attempt to create more storage space and purge nonsensical flotsam and jetsam. I've tossed (and this is an accurate count) no less than 43 margarine/cottage cheese/sour cream container lids whose partnering containers have long since been abolished to the Great Burn Barrels. I've pulled 2 black garbage bags of too small kids clothes for St. Vincent De Paul...some of them were size 18 months, and my son is 3 years old. You think it was time? I rearranged two bookcases, so that we could fit another 10-12 books in them. We don't dispose of books, here, because we read and re-read nearly all of them, every three years. (Okay, "we" being me, and Maggie. She can't read, yet, but she examines all books, even the ones without pictures. ) And I found about 30 magazines with recipes that I haven't taken the time to transfer to files. I got sort of busy having children, and moving cows. But it's time to transfer or toss.

I do like organization. I do like clean and neat. And my mother did teach me how to do all that.

It seems I get all bogged down, in my sorting and organizing. I fold outgrown children's clothes, and I see them wearing the clothes; sort of like home movies, for a mother's eyes, only. I start going through the tupperware cupboard, and my son wants to build forts with the margarine containers...well, sure! I start to tear out recipes from the magazines and get lost in the travel articles. I attempt to straighten books and end up surrounded by stories that are like old friends; "Oh THERE you are, Big Red! I haven't seen you since I got married. And here's Ivan Doig...wonder what's going on at English Creek. Ah, Rory Stewart and The Places In Between...in between what, I wonder? Perhaps I should take a peek..."

And I'm an absolute miser when it comes to buying organizational and storage containers. I don't like plastic, and as I stand there in the Rubbermaid aisle, I can think of about 297 things I'd rather spend $12.95 on. But when I get home, and stand in front of the closets, I think to myself, "Drats. Another bad choice made, with the right brain...." Plastic seems so icky, but try to find metal or wood organizers that hold up to preschool abuse, or that rednecks in trailer houses on the prairie can afford! So I shut the closet door....nay, back up against it with all my weight and will it to shut, with my substantial rear end....and promise to really, truly buy the Rubbermaid containers next time, cross my heart.

Please don't think I'm complaining, or trying to flake out, about where I live or how. We have been blessed with the perfect home for our family, and we have more than we need, in food, shelter and clothing. My management of these resources is the problem. Or, perhaps, mis-management.

At any rate, this week, in the Farmer's home, all the tupperware has lids. The laundered clothing in the childrens' drawers is the appropriate size and season. The books aren't double stacked in the 5 bookcases in the general public's view. The boy's trucks are stored neatly in the closet and the princess has her dresses hung color wise.

And tonight I will have dreams of rejected piles of junk, piling on top of me, in retaliation for the purge. (It will probably just be the cat, sitting on my chest.....)

9 comments:

TraciG said...

I am so much like that when I'm cleaning! Plus I get distracted and try to clean out 2-3 locations at once and end up with even more chaos! But good job! and Enjoy it for a day, or two...

Kim Busch said...

Those of you who are only organizationally impaired always complete the task. Those of us that are organizationally disabled seem to just go in circles. It is not that I don't see the benefits of organization, the time and effort it would save. I do! It is not that I don't make effort or buy really cool organizational tools. I do!I own lots of cool tools that I can't find. It is not that I don't have hours of instruction and remediation. I do. Now since my response to interventions has not been successful the team has written an IEP with full accommodations and I have an aide (usually a self-appointed ten-year-old organizationally gifted kid that just can't take it).

Every school year I vow to keep my area clean and organized. I make an improvement plan and get already to go.

Okay, I haven't seen the top of the small group table in two weeks. (Yes, school just started last week.)But I know which pile the plan is in and everyday is a new day with no mistakes in it.

Lori R. said...

Okay, funny how the French Word of the Day is cacher, to hide. Because that's what I do, I just "cacher" all that stuff in the closets!! One of these days..... so I have said that for a long time.... I will tackle the closets. That is a winter thing for me... Way to go Mary for your purging,,, it is a hard thing to do.... especially when it comes to kids stuff... it is easier when kids aren't around to retrive what you throw out!

ranchmama said...

It is hard to do with kids 'helping' !! I find myself telling my daughter to just leave it in the trash bag, it's trash, right? She usually agrees but the heart breaking look on her face says I just threw out her most treasured ticket stub from the 50/50 drawing last winter..

I find it bad when I have to clean/organize point B to make room for the stuff I just cleaned and organized from point A, it's a vicious cycle.

And git rid of those give away things ASAP!! I had boxes stacked up waiting for dear hubby to haul them to my truck and I found myself still going through them, making sure I didn't need anything.. is that sad or what?!

michelle said...

I think you're not the only one.

On the disorganization OR the plastic. Fortunately for me, my husband's office goes through tons of paper, so I always request the boxes it comes it. They're perfect for closet stacking.

So you have a freezer full of beef and I have a closet full of paper boxes. We should share.

Rosie O'Grady said...

I just wish I cleaned my stacks! Back in the day when I cleaned on Saturday I knew where stuff was. Oh well, it doesn't matter. Have fun, and enjoy the memory lane as you clean.

Pam O'Brien said...

:-) You know how to pin point it! I get sooo distracted. I'm another book/magazine junkie and never fail to get intrigued and diverted by some title, article, memory...

{sigh}

Good to know we're not alone (judging by the comments, you and I are not the only ones)!

Homer Hickam said...

And the rest of the story is that you were also assisting me with my novel The Dinosaur Hunter. Thanks so much for your insights, comments, and clear writing (which I often and shamelessly used verbatim). I know you really didn't have time for all the work you did but I surely appreciated that you did it.

Kerri said...

Hi, Mary!! I am also organizationally challenged. Since I am not teaching at the moment (BIG SIGH....guest teaching is slooooow the first few weeks!) I decided to clean out the basement. Walk in closet, family room, bedroom and laundry room. I have a FULL trailer of stuff to take to the dump, at least 10 bags/boxes to give away, and 3 bags of clothes that are too big for me (losing 30 pounds is a good thing!) that I'll share with my Wild Women's group clothing exchange. In case you think my house should be empty, it's not! And I don't even have little kids at home. But I have umpteen BINS of teaching items, books, crafts, pictures, etc. I did go through those bins and sorted them out. But I didn't throw much.

If I don't start teaching soon, I'm afraid I'll have to move onto the garage! Although I do have that plastic cupboard (and more cupboards!)I can clean out tomorrow. Today I used up all my energy doing the laundry room, scaring the beejeebers out of the Beagle Boys as I used the old shop vac. Nothing was safe in there today!!

Off I go to see a movie in an air conditioned theatre. I think I've earned it!!

ps is there a new book for book club? I'm also headed to Barnes and Noble! :)