Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Little Man


My other baby, Angus, turned three on the 20th. Can you believe that? Three! And he is a very delightful three-year old; a stark contrast to what he was the first year of his little life. Angus was colicky for about 7 months. One time, I rather wearily remarked to his father that he'd have to get by on his good looks and charm, to which Wayland replied, "You'd better hope he's really good looking!"


Now, he's busy, cheerful, and yes, really good looking. Every day with Angus is an adventure! He has a chirpy little voice that can be heard commenting on absolutely everything he sees or has seen. His eyes are sharp and sparkly, and he knows how to use them to get what he wants, particularly from grandparents. (Wayland and I have become immune to the power he tries to exert...)


Angus likes frosting, loves anything John Deere, sings songs he's only heard a couple times, and hauls cats around everywhere he goes. He calls all older women "Grandma" and pats their arms. He's not afraid of water, bugs, most heights and the dark, but a sticker on his foot will paralyze him. (It's true, and his sister uses this knowledge for evil purposes.)


Raising a boy is a special job, and some days I don't feel adequate. But then, he'll come over to me while I'm doing dishes, hug my leg and say, "I hold you me, Mama," and we sit down and rock and snuggle, and I thank the Lord for my little man. And I realize we'll figure it out along the way.


This year, we'll be spending some time alone, when his sister goes to school, and I predict there will be much building of train tracks, dozing of dirt, capturing of bugs, chocolate milk mustaches, trails of cookie crumbs to the drawer where the cat is safely stowed....


Every day is an adventure, with Angus!

2 comments:

ranchmama said...

Weclome Back!

Happy birthday to Angus! and a late greeting to Maggie ( I didn't get a chance to post on that one..)
A 3 year old boy is so much fun I think. Sounds like yours is a gem.

I'll have some one on one time with Payne this fall, he really wants to go to school! Enjoy this time while you can, you know they grow up way to fast!

Erin said...

Another great post about one of your children! Growing up at your house sounds like a lot of fun!!!! Except the stickers on the feet! I don't know that I'd like that either:)

I enjoyed your comment about Maggie and Dora. I grew up with two channels that really didn't come in all that well. When I tell people that, they can't fathom it. Today we have too many channels to count, DVR, and On Demand so we can watch Dora whenever we want - yikes!