Monday, July 13, 2009

Grasshoppers, Eeewww!

Grasshoppers on my porch wall. They are that thick in the grass, too. Working over the hollyhocks...

They are COVERING the hose, in the grass!


This used to be a pea vine. Two days ago, it had soft green leaves and peas.
The tomatos, beans, spinach, lettuce and thyme are all being decimated.
But, NOT the yarrow! Apparently, even grasshoppers have some taste...
I'm reluctant to spray them, because of the kids, and besides, there are so many that I think I'd have to spray everyday. It's hard watching the flowers and vegetables just being chewed away!




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to see how bad these grasshoppers are. Are they attacking the crops as well or has spraying kept them under control?

Lori R. said...

Is that like Exodus 10, Plague of locusts! oh my, I bet you hate to even go out in the yard... Have a wonderful trip and maybe they will be gone when you get back.

Erin said...

Eeeewwwwww is right!!!!

Marisa said...

I agree, eewwww! Could you spray just before you leave, or get Wayland to spray the day you leave? Maybe that would cut down on them, at least, and reduce any chance of the kids being exposed.

ranchmama said...

Ugh, Gross! I didn't know they were that bad! We don't have them down here. Maybe in the pastures, but I haven't been up there to see.

Sorry to see your veggies and flowers go.. that's no fun.

Have a fun trip and hope they will be gone by the time you get back.

Diver said...

What you need is about 150 geese!! Let them roam around and get nice and fat on them!! Get Wayland to snag a bunch of geese, then when they're nice and fat, the grasshoppers are all gone too, you kill the geese and sell them, and then you give WAYLAND all the money raised for a nice new drysuit. Seems like the simplest idea to me, and I'll bet Wayland would go along with the drysuit part too!! :-)

Rosie O'Grady said...

I am sorry! I think this is the year for hoppers. I thought I had a lot, but this is the worst. At least you don't have any Jumbos like they have in Kent County.

michelle said...

OK. You know what really, REALLY weird? Last week I had a dream, a really vivid dream, that I went to go visit you in Montana and that when I got there the worst swarm of grasshoppers in the history of the world came in - like so many you could barely breathe and it was supposed to last for two days. We were hiding out in a school (?!?) and a few grasshoppers made it inside the building and I felt just terrible for all the people trapped outside who were covered with the things.

And so I see you post on grasshoppers and it was like, "oh yeah, old news..." and then "Oh. Wait. No, that was my dream...."

I was going to email when I had the dream, but kept putting it off -- now I wish I had. Maybe you could've taken preventative measures and saved some of the crops.

Patricia said...

Yikes!!! That is a LOT of grasshoppers. We recently had an infestation of tent caterpillars. They were everywhere and actually kept me indoors most of the time. They would fall from the trees like snow and managed to crawl under the porch door. Just this week we have had a gazillion little white moths. I'd much rather have the moths than the caterpillars that came first. Hope you are having a perfectly delightful time away from all your electronics, dear friend.

Shannon said...

Icky. Do you hear them crunch when you walk outside? I'll bet the story of the 10 plagues is coming 'alive' to your Maggie about now!