It was cool, cool....felt like mountain air in the fall, crisp as an apple you pick in September. There was a little moisture on the grass, from showers in the night, so the cats were picking their way around the yard on prissy feet, shaking them and looking disgusted. My calves made a break for freedom, and were eating on peas in the field, as fast as they could, pretending they didn't hear me shaking the feed bucket but watching carefully out of the corner of thier sly little eyes.
The kids went with their father and I felt like the calves...free time! Of course, no time is really free, when you work in and around the home. I decided to do some baking to get ready for those long harvest days, fast approaching. Dug out some old CD's to listen to and set to making cookies as fast as I could!
Have you ever heard the soundtrack to "Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood"? It's great if you like Cajun, blues, big band/swing, and pure jazz, all together in one place. Jazz and big band are good to cook to, for me. That, and it seems to run everyone out of the kitchen when I put it on!
Anyway, my Aunt Bert called, right in the middle of the mess, and we talked about going to a folk school this next year to learn some soapmaking, stained glass, knitting and bookbinding, to name a few ideas. I can't think of a better time to spend with her than that.
I made gingersnaps first, then, for some impulsive reason decided to make Annie's Vermont Maple Cookies....usually reserved for Christmas, according to her rules. Rules, shmules. They taste like little tiny maple bar donuts, without the frying. For a bad day, take two of Annie's cookies and a cup of dark, smooth coffee on the deck for about 10 minutes. You'll be a new person.
I've been threatening to post this recipe, because of the Fontologist's cookie challenge and also because I think it should be in the hands of the people....so, here you go...enjoy!
Annie's Vermont Maple Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup commercial sour cream
1 tsp maple flavoring
2 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
Mix shortening, sugar and eggs thoroughly. Stir in sour cream and maple flavoring. Blend in dry ingredients. (This dough is VERY soft...don't be concerned.)
Heat oven to 375. Drop teaspoons of dough on GREASED cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes or until imprint remains when touched lightly. Cool completely, then frost with Maple Glaze.
Maple Glaze
Heat 1/2 cup real butter until golden brown. Blend in 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar and 2 tsp maple flavoring. (It will look AWFUL, I can promise you...the next step will fix that.) Stir in 2-4 tablespoons HOT water until icing spreads smooth. (During the frosting process, you may need to add little bits of water to maintain consistancy. It won't hurt it.)
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Now go find yourself some Taj Mahal and Ann Savoy to listen to, grind yourself some French Roast and get baking, if you've a mind! (Fontie, I'm pretty sure this will win the contest, but I don't know who gets the prize....it's Annie's recipe and my submission.)
Oh! And in the cool afternoon, after naps, we got to go move the heifers to another pasture. It was so much fun! Then we loaded up and went to visit Glasscocks while the guys had Bible Study. A glorious day, full of little pleasures.
3 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful day, and I am still waiting for that nice, cool, damp day here. When it finally comes, the cookies are on the top of the to-do list because they sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
thanks for the recipe, they sound devine. I will be trying them out....
Ooo! I'm so excited! I can finally make them! I would do it this second (well, next)...except...I need maple flavoring. So maybe I'll have to run to the store next second.
I think I still have a couple more submissions to trial. I've been slacking lately. When it's 100 degrees outside baking cookies just doesn't sound quite as good.
But I got a cookie compliment today. Someone said I was like a grandma cause there were always cookies at my house.
Sounds like you had a lovely day! And I've been wondering what the weather there is like this time of year...
Post a Comment