Friday, July 31, 2009

Avenue Montaigne


I've been watching a French movie called Avenue Montaigne in 15 minute chunks of time over the last 3 days. It's a PG-13, which is edgy for me, but it got that rating because of some objectionable language. The great thing about watching movies in another language is that you don't know when they are saying those things, AND you don't have to read them in the sub-titles! It's true.


Anyway, the film is about a fresh little wide-eyed girl, Jessica, whose grandmother told her about not being able to afford a life of luxury, but the ability to work in that life. So Jessica goes to Paris, to the upscale Avenue Montaigne, and gets a job as a waitress in a cafe' visited by everyone...actors, stage-hands, truck drivers and musicians; all sorts. She is absolutely guileless, and in a short time has gotten involved in some of her regular customer's lives. An art collector is agonizing over the sale of his collection, but there's more there than meets the eye. A television/stage actress is trying to get out of the box and into the movies, but she keeps flubbing her chances. A famous pianist wants to quit his touring and be part of life with real people.


I'm only about half-way through the movie, but it has been such fun! It's like a virtual post-card from Paris, and occasionally I catch myself just looking at the architecture and fashion around the actors, and forgetting about the plot. And then I have to go back and re-read those sections. I've never thought of it, before now, but perhaps that's why I like foreign films...I can read them!


1 comment:

Rosie O'Grady said...

The buildings and the scenery is what I would be interested in. Rain on the life drama!