Wednesday, June 03, 2009


This week I'm helping with Vacation Bible School, or VBS, in Jordan, so that's why you haven't heard much from the Chronicles. Now, I know the Bible verse that states" I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me" but I've usually embraced that verse for little stuff...like giving birth. Or working bulls in the corral.


Yesterday, I recreated nine of the ten plagues visited on Pharaoh, 4 times! That's right...4 insane times. The day before that, it was the burning bush, with the voice of God. Today, I'm building Israelite tract housing and we're doing the Passover. And each time, I have 20 minutes to do the lesson, one terrified little junior high helper, and a 5 minute re-setup time.


The glorious thing (and really, it is, once we got past the shock of it) is that although we planned for about 30 kids, we've hosted around 45. Isn't that cool?!


(I think we lost a couple of leaders, though. In fact, the lady who was to do crafts all week, called and said her husband was in the hospital and the doctors just can't figure out what his malady is. Doesn't that sound suspicious? They've come up with "maybe it's the spleen", which is safe, because nobody really knows anything about the spleen, it's location or habits. Hmmmm....)


It has been a little rough, for this laid back family to be on the road first thing in the morning, when we're usually feeding the bums and watering flowers in our bare feet. And we are TIRED! Not just because of the socialization stuff, either.


All the songs in this VBS are aerobic. I hopped on the scale, yesterday morning, and was down two pounds. And it's not because I've been eating salads, mind you. When we get done with the morning songs, there are leaders sprawled in the pews, clutching their chests and praying for air and strength. It's pretty inspirational. But the kids are wound up to a respectable level, for the lessons.


AND (this is a particularly endearing component of the program) when the leaders say key phrases, such as God is powerful, the kids respond with a shout that could fell Jericho's walls, FEAR NOT!

Little old ladies across the street are starting to wonder if God is speaking to them, because while they are making their lukewarm Sanka coffee out of Jordan water, they are hearing "Fear Not!", when they haven't heard a thing in years. The Lord is moving in this town, I tell you, and it's not just with the kids...


Well, I'm off to the shower and Day Three. Please keep us in your prayers, and if you aren't doing anything for the rest of the week, we have jobs for the brave. Fear not!

4 comments:

TraciG said...

All I can say is that it must be sticking because Benjamin seemed to be quite irritated that Pharaoh wouldn't let "our people" go.I heard about dead fish, and grasshoppers, and he was particularly impressed with the hailstones... And I could hear him saying "FEAR NOT" in the midst of playing trucks and tractors and caught a catchy tune he was singing in the tub last night. This morning he was much easier to get out of bed at 6:20!! a.m. I'd say you guys are doing a great job!

Jessica said...

I have to agree with Traci...Shelby is really enjoying it, but didn't like the "Grinch" so much. She is constantly going around saying Fear Not. You are all doing a great job! So glad we have this opportunity.

hollysmom said...

Mmmm I think I will join some of those older gals with the lukewarm Sanka coffee! I take my hats off to you gals wrangling in 45 kiddos. I will never forget my vacation bible school. I loved it!

Kerri said...

How goes the plagues? I have been a VBS director a few times and I can remember being totally exhausted by the last night. But it's sooo worth it! My first one I had about 30 little hands go up to receive Jesus as their Savior. Too sweet!!! You're definitely making an eternal investment with your time~