Saturday, June 06, 2009

Kids and Calves

Introducing Annie Light...she finally got used to us, and has become a rather pushy member of the OC herd. After about 3 days of listening to the other calves shlurping the bottles, she decided she'd consort with the common calves and sample a bottle.
Now, she tramples over the top of them getting to the chow, and she's so obnoxious, she makes Daisy look positively prim. She finishes Festus' bottle most days, and consumes a goodly amount of rolled oats and pellets. I think she'll be a keeper!
Annie Light and Festus Jack...little tongues out, in anticipation.
Annie is true black, and fine boned. My other two calves are more dark chocolate colored, and she's making them look a little shabby.

Daisy Mae and Festus
Daisy is still the lead calf and bosses the other two around quite a bit.
Wayland moved their pen fence, to allow them more alfalfa and grass, and last night all I could see of Daisy was her rump and happily switching tail! She's growing at a good rate.
We are going to brand them, this next week, and she will not be impressed.


These are a bunch of 7's, watching the chores with rapt attention. These cows are 2 year olds that just had their first calf this spring, so they are like teenage mothers. Notice there are no calves with them...they are dingbats!



Dingbat 7's, pretending to be scared so they have a reason to dash away. Immediately following this shot, they put on the brakes and turned, once again, in unison to watch the chores again.
They tickle me!


Yeah, that's my boy....he climbs EVERYTHING!
Here he is, wanting to get down in the pen with Daisy and Festus, but he forgot his boots. So he has to cling to the fence like a little sparrow, chirping about the whole situation.


Angus, again. I keep looking at this picture, trying to locate his other leg.
I think it's behind the fencepost.

This looks like a sweet picture, but Maggie has Angus pinned, hugging him. (Angus doesn't like being hugged, unless it's his idea...and Maggie knows this.)

I love this picture of the little feeties!!!

Princess Maggie Bella, surveying her rural kingdom...

5 comments:

Erin said...

Beautiful pictures and wonderful writing once again! Makes me miss the rolling plains and blue sky all the more. . . keep 'em coming!

Chris Brauns said...

I like the pictures a lot. I grew up on a farm in Iowa.

Recently, I was with my six year old daughter and we had access to cows with calves at their side. She started to get a bit too daring with the cows and I explained, "Cows with calves can get a little cross, in a protective way."

Mary Beth responded, "Kind of like mothers about strangers." I assured her that it's exactly the same principle. She kept her distance henceforth.

Marisa said...

I love it..."her rural kingdom"

Texas Ghostrider said...

She has a really nice kingdom to look over. I love the pictures, you can see for miles and miles, with nothing else around. nice little herd y'all have going and thanks for sharing.

Altered Glass said...

Awww, heifers, gotta love 'em. They can't help being stupid. Everything about motherhood is new. Next year they will be ole' pros as you well know. Do you usually end up pulling calves with heifers? Ohhh, my favorite part (not at all. Actually I kinda felt sorry for them.) And the feeties pic is a favorite for me too!!