Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's Magic...



Have I ever mentioned how I like old glamour movies? You know, the ones where the money spent on wardrobe for the leading ladies totaled more than what all the actors got paid for the film. Preferrably made in the 1930's and '40's. I don't watch them for the story, really, although sometimes I'm surprised and delighted at the plots. Mostly, I watch them for the fashion, the ambiance and the way people treated each other at that time. Can you spell S-T-Y-L-E and R-E-S-P-E-C-T? What was so wrong with that?


When I got home from MASBO, I found the Doris Day movie Romance on the High Seas in a Netflix envelope buried in the mail. Ah, Doris. AND travel! Perfect. The kids watch these movies with me; Angus, a little annoyed and Maggie, thoroughly enchanted. So, we popped it in after nap time and watched.

Here's the blurb from the back of the envelope, since they are so much better at being concise:

"When suspicious socialite Elvira Kent (Janis Paige) asks nightclub singer Georgia Garrett (Doris Day) to take her place on an expensive cruise to South America so she can stay home and catch her husband cheating, Georgia happily agrees. But neither woman is aware that Elvira's husband is ALSO keeping an eye on his wife. This farce-filled Hollywood musical marked Day's debut on film, a role she landed because Betty Hutton became pregnant and had to back out."

Makes you want to run right out and rent it, now, doesn't it? (Okay, so the Mikes and Texas Ghostrider may pass on this one....) But, girls, this movie has glamour just dripping throughout! And when you are done watching it and take stock of your own closet and surroundings, you may feel a little....frumpy. But it's good clean fun and it's guaranteed to clear any testosterone out of the room, should you need a little space.


I have to send it back, now, and return to my real world single-wide trailer and Texas Tech sweatshirts. But it was a treat to spend the afternoon with Doris in Rio!
Oh, and the reason for the title of this post is that "It's Magic" is the big song from the movie...



9 comments:

Texas Ghostrider said...

you are right I think I will pass on that movie.... There is NOTHING wrong with a Texas Tech Sweatshirt they are glamorious, after all they are black and red......I think I will leave the room now.......Hey Farmer what kind of movies you got for me?

Lori R. said...

Oh, so dreamy in movie world. I always wondered about the woman that kept an iron ready at a moment's notice of a wrinkle appearing on the all cotton dresses. The outfits were always soooo...crisp... maybe that's the word. I always got a kick out of the melodrama.

Patricia said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Doris Day, but I don't think I have seen that one. My favorite Doris Day movie is Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

The Farmer said...

I'm an action adventure guy. I've seen most of them out there. I prefer good storylines. They don't need to be realistic but the story has to have flow. I liked the lethal weapon series until the language got so gratuitous it wasn't funny just stupid. The last rambo was good, but excessive. I like plot twist that fit. I don't have time for the horror genre anymore. Favorite alltime movie, hard to choose but the second aliens movie rates really
high. So does the Rock with Sean Connery.

The Farmer's Wife said...

I was JUST wondering how everyone in the 40's and 50's, especially, kept so neat and pressed! And I was also thinking that, despite my fondness for the era, I would've failed miserably at all the things that women were supposed to be good at.

You just have to know, the reason polyester was invented is because some wife threw her iron at her brilliant-yet-unsensitive husband, causing him to hustle off to the lab to revolutionize textiles for us...bless their hearts!

Diver said...

Oh Good!!! My buddy THE FARMER (aka Wayland) read this already so I don't have to warn him about the deadly combination that may have occured here, such as ammonia fertilizer and diesel, the deadly combo in this case would have been:

FASHION + WIFE+ CREDIT CARD = DISASTER!!!

The Farmer's Wife said...

I really, really, really abhor shopping...really, a whole lot. Except for books, and the occasional pair of heels. Other than that, if I can't find it at the second-hand store for $5 or less, I won't buy it. So the credit card is generally safe.

The Farmer's Wife said...

AND, because I can't seem to have a complete thought to put in one comment...

Texas Tech sweatshirts are pretty glamorous when they are new, but mine are getting a bit raggedy. Time for a trip to Lubbock, I think. Guns up!

Elise said...

I love reading you side notes, specially the SAHM ones. This time all of them apply to me, lol Ben cut hay on Father's day and the kids and I checked water tanks. We had a picnic supper and the kids were happy with that. And we have a promo DVD from John Deere the boys will watch over and over.
Also been meaning to tell you the fridge pic is totally true here too! The Cowboy can spot cows on a hill on the far horzion and get an acurate cow and calf count but can't find the potato salad. I'm afraid his son is developing the same problem...