Cordelia, the cow-cat.
Daisy Mae...she's trying to determine if I have a bottle behind that camera.

Festus Joe; sunning himself beside the calf shelter.

We also had another calf, here, for about 18 hours. Wayland found her mom, bogged in mud and dead, and I was bequeathed another bum. But because she'd been "mothered" so long, she was having nothing to do with us. Maggie named her "Light" because she likes the word, but I called her Annie. Yesterday afternoon, while I was doing chores in the house, Maggie went out to see the calves. I think she tried to get close to Annie Light to pet her, and ended up scaring her through the fence. Annie L. then proceeded to run about a mile, to the county road, at a high rate of speed. By the time we got organized, she was GONE. So we went to PopPop's house and reported the loss, but we'd located her at the next turnoff up the road. Wayland ended up running her through the gate to join the bulls across the road, and it is yet to be determined what the fate of Annie Light will be.
But for now, Daisy and Festus are soaking up the sun in their pen, and enjoying spring.
Daisy is the smarter of the two, by far. The other day, I looked out to see her grazing on the green grass. Festus was in the corner chewing on a dried thistle tumbleweed.
Daisy eats the calf crumbles; Festus sucks on her ear.
We may have determined why he's not gaining....
He's just dumb.
But we love him, and Daisy loves him, too.
Festus Joe; sunning himself beside the calf shelter.
We also had another calf, here, for about 18 hours. Wayland found her mom, bogged in mud and dead, and I was bequeathed another bum. But because she'd been "mothered" so long, she was having nothing to do with us. Maggie named her "Light" because she likes the word, but I called her Annie. Yesterday afternoon, while I was doing chores in the house, Maggie went out to see the calves. I think she tried to get close to Annie Light to pet her, and ended up scaring her through the fence. Annie L. then proceeded to run about a mile, to the county road, at a high rate of speed. By the time we got organized, she was GONE. So we went to PopPop's house and reported the loss, but we'd located her at the next turnoff up the road. Wayland ended up running her through the gate to join the bulls across the road, and it is yet to be determined what the fate of Annie Light will be.
But for now, Daisy and Festus are soaking up the sun in their pen, and enjoying spring.
Daisy is the smarter of the two, by far. The other day, I looked out to see her grazing on the green grass. Festus was in the corner chewing on a dried thistle tumbleweed.
Daisy eats the calf crumbles; Festus sucks on her ear.
We may have determined why he's not gaining....
He's just dumb.
But we love him, and Daisy loves him, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment