Wednesday, March 04, 2009

We were one CUP short...


...of a tea party, but we gathered anyhow! Our Perpetual Hostess, Anne, told us she was flying to Dallas on Wednesday and would be unavailable for the party. SURE, she's flying to Dallas...(We'll see if the postcard shows up. We are not empty CUPS, I'll have you know! If she says she's going to Dallas, we need proof. Otherwise, it would appear she's avoiding us, and we'd take that rather personally. In a group of 3, one notices an absence...)

At any rate, the two remaining CUPS members and their Cupcakes met at Mary's house for Sumatra french press coffee and generous helpings of pumpkin gooey cake with cream. And we weren't actually feeling all that abused!

Because Mary was hostess, there were no crafts, BUT we DID peruse foodie magazines and seed catalogs. The seed order will be placed later today, and you'll have a complete report in the next post, because we know y'all are just dying to know what sorts of plants we're going to start, then neglect to death, this year in our gardens.

Traci took notes on cucumber health and we plotted out what to put in the ungainly bed in front of her house. She was not going to plant ANYTHING there, because of a possible garage! This offended my horticultural sensibilities greatly! Who has ever heard of someone not planting because of impending construction?!! The girl has a long ways to come, in her gardening obsession. ( Around here, if someone leaves a boot on the step too long; say, 36 hours, it's fair game to plant in. Flip-flops are tricky. I digress....) I think I have her convinced to put some scarlet runner beans and taller annuals there. It needs some height. We read up on Mrs. Greenthumbs classic Greek proportion; 2:1+1 (10 foot wall: 6 foot plant).



*And a word about Traci and her food magazines/cookbooks/recipes...
The girl needs help. At the risk of offending, I called it her porn. And she laughingly agreed! But, after we pulled out the seed catalogs/gardening books/planting diagrams and I reacted in much the same way, we called it even. Is there a twelve step program out there for people who can't stop cooking, or people who plant too much? If so, please leave the contact information discreetly in my comment box. Lives may be saved.

The Cupcakes played quietly, much to our surprise! Ben and Maggie, at this age, were snarling, biting, and whining. It was survival of the strongest. Angus and Allie circled each other, eyed each other, then went their separate ways. Shocking! But SO nice!




We missed Anne, terribly. She's just as crazy about food and plants, and offers a good balance for us. I guess I'll order her some mystery seeds from John Scheeper's and we'll see her next week. At her house.

Respectfully submitted,
Secretary and Arts and Crafts Director Mary Pluhar

5 comments:

TraciG said...

Might I add that the pumkin twist on Gooey Butter Cake was divine as was the French Press coffee.... and the conversation...and the seed catalogues....and the dessert magazines....

Thanks my friend!
T.

Marisa said...

You're killing me, CUPS! What I wouldn't have given today to be with you.
And Angus and Allie, isn't that an interesting sounding duo? The potential high school sweethearts, or outlaw bandits, something. Or maybe a book title?

michelle said...

Oh! This looks divine! And it reminds me that I forgot to send a few seeds for the pile. In my head, I already had. But there are a great deal of things that happen in my head and not in real life and I get confused...maybe I need professional help. Anyway, it will not be as bountiful as the collection I recieved, but maybe there'll be something someone there might enjoy.

Anyway, I love your CUPS report. It is the next best thing to being there myself!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Okay, here's the deal: Marisa, get a sub for a Wednesday...they call them personal days for a reason! And Michelle, if for some reason you are able to make it to Garfield County, Montana, at any time, we will hold an honorary CUPS meeting and DISH (Discuss Incredible Stuff Happily)!

Quick, before I place the seed order...is there anything you're dying to try, but don't want to spend $3.27 on? Like mache' or borage or haricot verts? We can split the cost! Email me with your heart's desires on funky seeds, and I'll see if it's on my list. Odds are, if it's odd, it's there and I can share....

Anonymous said...

This CUPS group reminds me of the tea parties my Grandma Singer hosted. She would always set a beautiful table with linens and pretty teacups, and of course serve yummy treats with the coffee and tea. I'm sure friendships were formed and nurtured at these gatherings for decades.