Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Warts and all...


I'd like to say this is my last bookclub plug/post, but you know I can't promise that! Once a month, after each bookclub gathering, I just feel inclined to sing the praises of this group of women. So if any of you reading this post are an Underground Bookclubber, you can come to my blog after we meet and read glowing accounts of yourself and compadres and know you are completely loved and admired by the Farmer's Wife!
We had a new member join us this month. Now, that's saying something because we don't add new people very often. I think two years ago was the last time.
ANYWAY, we carried on like we normally do, even though Thelma and Anne weren't there and that left a hole in the group. There's always 3 or 4 conversations going, at any given time, and some are about deep, thoughtful things (death, isolation, independence), some are about shallow, frivolous things (new red purse, kittens for give-away, toddler letter exchange) and some are about the meaning of life (why do men DO that?). Usually we pull it all together at meal time and do the literary thing and discuss the book. And for the most part, it's uncensored, meaning if you didn't like the book, you can say so, or if you completely embraced the book, we'll want to know why. It's a totally safe place and I'm sure if you looked in on the scene from outside the window, it would be a beautiful picture of friendship.
I called the new member, the next day, to see what she thought. (If you love a group, you want to hear good things about it!) She said she had a good time, but was worried that everyone seemed to be too hard on the author and thought the woman who chose the book would have her feelings hurt. Wow! The thought had never crossed my mind! In fact, I told her that we'd had a couple of books in the last 10 years (one of mine, included) that a lot of people didn't like, but that it sure opened up discussion! I'm not sure she is going to join us for good and maybe she's worried that the book she chooses will be a bad choice. (Here's the funny thing: sometimes we like a stinker of a book, because we can worry it like a dog with a slipper, thus avoiding that same action with our husbands and family!)
Here's our menu from UBC this month, and our book selection:
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains, by Isabella L. Bird
We ate toasted garlic bread with choice of nutty/pinapple/cream cheese spread or sort of tomato salsa, fruit salad, loaded pizzas, choice of New York or Chocolate Truffle cheesecake, Moscato or Gerwitztrameiner wine, peach or pomegranate italian soda, and coffee.
You see why I will move heaven and earth to get to bookclub! Doesn't that bring you near tears? Traci made the cheesecake and I'm pushing for her to start Frozen Dog Cheesecake Factory, because she lives on Frozen Dog Creek. I know, I know; tacky name. But Traci's Tarts and Sundries doesn't have quite the same stick-in-your-head ring, now, does it?

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I love hearing about your bookclub and your friends! What's the next book you're reading?

Had to laugh at the Frozen Dog Cheesecake Factory name. We call our dogs "Pupsicles" after they've been outside awhile. They'd LOVE Frozen Dog Cheesecake! :)

How's the snow process at your house? It's been so doggone foggy here. I'm ready for sunshine. Snow is melting, kinda. I have a driveway again.

I'm eating a salad from McDonald's at the moment. I REALLY wanted a hamburger with FRIES...I snagged one french fry from my son before I started chomping on my Southwest Grilled Chicken salad. I don't like making them for myself, but I'll eat salad anywhere else! have any good salad recipes?

Happy Friday!!

The Farmer's Wife said...

We are reading "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall, about her life growing up in a polygamist household. Non-fiction has been the most challenging of genres, this year!

The snow is melting, melting, melting and freezing again at night, so what we have is a lot of crusty, icy stuff. Cuts up the cows legs and makes working in the corral an Olympic sport, only we don't get skates!

Salads....my friends always tease me about my salads because they are so STRANGE. Maybe compared to the other salads served around here they are, but I think they'd fit right in if I took them to California or Seattle. I'll try to send you some of my better combos, in an email. Brace yourself. I'm just the opposite of you...I like making salads myself, but don't order them when I go out! Need to work on that.

Happy Saturday! Give the pupsicles a love for me. My Molly got locked in the barn yesterday afternoon, and is much abused. I have to make up with her, today.