
As I type, I'm sipping a cup of coffee made in the new French press coffee pot my friend Traci gave me for Christmas. It is DIVINE!! She said it is supposed to make some of the best coffee in the world. She was wrong. It absolutely, without contest, makes the best coffee in the world. (And if you challenge that comment, I propose we make a world coffee tour and find out. Maybe I should anyway.)
It's odd that I've not owned a French press before, because I love all things French. I know that's about as un-American as not ordering garden seeds from Gurney's, but it's true. I love that the French plant flowers and vegetables together in a big, voluptuous jumble. I love the slow, elaborate recipes that require you to all but raise the chicken from the egg, to ensure zee pairfect flavoure. I think Pepe Le'Pew is the bomb. I've never been to France, obviously, but I think I'll hit it on my world coffee tour.
Excuse me, time for a coffee break...
Okay, I'm back. The only thing not wonderful or perfect about this cup of coffee is the absence of a friendly face across the old 1950's kitchen table, someone to rave with about the aroma and complexity of the blend. I have books to share, knitting to do while we visit, Audrey Hepburn movies to watch and sigh over.....won't you join me? The kids are napping, so we won't have to have the same soundtrack in the background. I've got jazz! Come on over!
4 comments:
Can I challenge that comment just so we can make the world coffee tour? You made good coffee before! How long does it take to create this coffee? Is it silent so it doesn't wake the kids up? I want to know more about the press, woman! How does it work?
I'm laughing so hard as I'm typing! Do you realize the last email you sent me was nothing but questions about the seed swap? Am I really that puzzling?
The way it works is this:
1. Put coarsely ground coffee in the bottom of the press canister.
2. Bring water to a near boil in a kettle on the stove.
3. Pour now-hot water in the canister on top of grounds, stirring with a wood or plastic spoon to ensure all the grounds are moist.
4. Cover with lid, that has attached filter.
5. Turn over the nifty, snifty 4 minute hourglass to perfectly time the brewing.
6. Four minutes is also the perfect time to get out your cookie or chocolate or slice of cheesecake, provided they aren't hidden in the back of your freezer under the wall-eye fillets. (That requires a little more planning and you should dig it out prior to Step 1.)
7. At exactly 4 minutes of brewing, (their instructions, not my personal estimate) you will push the plunger/filter slowly down, compressing the grounds under the filter and squoozhing out all the flavor into the brew.
8. Pour into mug or cup of choice. Warning!!! Do NOT taste until you are sitting down, because the brew is so flavorful and smooth, you may feel a bit faint with joy and besides, you will want to cleanse your palate with the aforementioned sugar bomb.
I'm sure you could Google more professional explanations, but that's what I know about it.
It IS silent. Come to my house and I'll demonstrate the technique; I haven't yet started fiddling with the process, so you should be safe.
Bring cheesecake.
Or that double chocolate French Silk pie that Marie Callendar does so well....
SEE?! Everything wonderful IS French!!!
This post was inspiring even though I don't drink coffee. The way you talk about it makes me want to come over for a cup. I posted my inspiration on my blog. :)
Here's the deal. Your blog was very poetic, I'm much more pragmatic these days. While your blogs are delightful works, I want to know how! I'm just a curious soul!
Post a Comment