Games Toddlers Play
- It's Mine! A charming little game of keepaway that involves two tots, one broken toy originating at McDonalds accidentally found at the bottom of the toybox. This is a noisy, contact sort of game, involving angry shrieking, running, tackling, crying and so forth. The object of the game is to make the Mommy crazy.
- Kitten-Go-Seek. This was referred to in another post and deserves explanation. One or both of the children obtains a kitten from the porch and transports the animal to a room with a door. The kitten is then ensconced in a hiding place (tomb) known only to the child. Popular spots have been: sock drawer, toy barn, pillowcase and purse. The child then comes out and declares that they can't find the pet. Mayhem ensues until the feline is released. The object of the game is to make the Mommy crazy.
- I Drew You A Picture! (This is one can be controversial, as there are those who would protest that the arts MUST be supported and encouraged. Those who are of that opinion have never had this game played at thier home.) In this game, the toddler first has to determine what is irreplacable, of great value, related to the IRS and the like. When the parent on duty takes his or her ONE ALLOWABLE bathroom break, the toddler quickly draws (in permanent ink) a veritable masterpiece on the aforementioned object of value. When the parent returns, a scant 2.5 minutes later, they are sweetly greeted with grubby hands holding up the art and the words "I drew you a picture!" The object of this game is to make Mommy crazy.

- Cooking and Cleaning, a game that is NOT what the title infers! This game starts deceptively innocently, with toy pots, spoons and the play kitchen that a grandmother who will not be named here gave to the children. Mixing and stirring air is not as satisfying as the JC Penney catalog would lead one to believe, so quickly the cherubs decide to use something of substance. Something like baby shampoo or coins from thier piggy banks. After a time, they look around and realize they have made a mess, so they proceed to get water from the bathroom in thier toy teapot and clean up. The object of this game is to make Mommy crazy.
- Fetch. No, they don't fetch; the parents do. The darlings drop a train behind the couch-Mommy fetches. Oopsies, forgot a cap when going feeding with Daddy-Mommy fetches. In bed, prayers said, lights dimming, child thirsting to DEATH- Mommy fetches. The object of this game is to make Mommy crazy.
4 comments:
You made me laugh so hard that I now have blueberry tea all over my keyboard!
Anne, I'm afraid someday we won't be laughing at these games. Although, Mary, they are well written, to say the least. When does your book come out? I know, I know, no time, but I imagine if your book was published you could hire a nanny so you could take 2 bathroom breaks!
You are truly a great writer.
I love it...it is all so true....
My fave lately is "I have a secret Mom to tell you, but you locked the door!" (My moment of "peace" while in the bathroom--gotta love the locks!)
This was WAAAAY too funny. I laughed so hard. I identified so well. Then I tried to think of my own to add and didn't get anywhere. :) You framed these stories PERFECTLY -- nice!
Post a Comment