I've been cleaning out flower beds, these last few gorgeous days of fall....and that should make some of my friends swoon right there. I'm not really known for my horticultural housekeeping, shall we say. I SAY it's an ethical dilemma; leave the dead foliage to catch snow or clean up the beds to rid the perennials of disease. Who's right, who's wrong on this issue? Is it an issue? (According to Sunset magazine, it is!)
Here's the sad cofession....I've found some of the plants I bought this spring and planted and tended with all my heart until August when I just couldn't take it anymore, heat-wise. At least I found thier remains. With thier little headstone markers from the greenhouse. Here lies Lavendula angustifolia. Born February 2008, Died August 2008. She will be missed. (Obviously, not THAT much, as the person who was to tend and love her didn't discover the untimely demise for three months!!!)
So now you know. Confession is good for the soul, don't you think? And just know, if you pass along any flower babies, make sure they are tough and don't inquire of thier health if they are not.
1 comment:
You had to mention the gardens, didn't you... I've been looking at mine like they are naughty children caught in the act... you love them, want the best for them, and have a hard time summoning the energy and conviction to do what needs to be done.... I too must make the most of these lovely days and do a little care of the beds...BTW that picture of Maggie is a CLASSIC!!
Post a Comment