Monday, January 28, 2008

80 Miles From Town....


I live 80 miles from town. Most of the time, this is a really great location....no neighbors, no traffic, no crime, no building restrictions. But in January, the 80 miles may as well be 800 miles!!
My husband has been taking reserve deputy training for the last two weekends, so I've been feeding the cows for him, parenting solo, and holding on until Monday when I was going to take a class of my own, 80 miles away. The plan was to get a motel room, go to the class, sleep with no children or dogs interrupting, get up and limp to the coffee shop, then get my hair cut and colored for the first time in 6 months. Really.
The thermometer has been dropping steadily all morning, the wind is 50 mph, making the temperature something like -36 degrees. The phone has been ringing off the hook; people making sure I'm not foolishly going out in this weather.
And I'm trying to do the mature thing, but it's been 6 months since I got my hair cut, for heaven's sake!!!
So here I am, blogging for the first time, instead of leaving for town.
I ground coffee beans, made a fresh pot and buried my head in a frozen cheesecake. It could be worse, you know? I could be staring at a cup of instant decaf and a Weight Watcher's One-Point bar!!!

No comments: